Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Interview with Mommy

I came across this article. Questions We Should All Ask Mom, and thought it was a great idea. So, I am calling my mom right now to interview my mommy. My mom is 55 years old and has Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  She has trouble walking, talking, remember things. She tends to not have conversations that require much thought any more and is a very go-with-the-flow type of person. Growing up, I don't remember much of her playing with or talking to me. Just the typical telling me what to do and expecting it to be done. She worked until about a year after she was diagnosed with MS. The 1st ten years of my life she spent working during the day, drinking and getting high at night. During that time I don't remember any positives except that unlike my father she put my brother and I before her crack habit. While my father pawned his wedding ring for crack, my mom pawned hers for peanut butter, jelly, bread and milk. Even if things were given to us, she made sure we were fed at home and had clothes on our backs. Now that I look back on it, she really did do the best she could at the time. 






Nicole M: Hey Mom, I came across these questions online and wanted to ask you for my blog. Would you mind answering them for me?
Grace L: Sure, it's not like I have anything to do but sit here.


NM: What’s the one thing you would have done differently as a mom?
GL: That's easyI wouldn't have gotten into drugs. 


NM: Why did you choose to be with my father?
GL: It's simple. I loved him.


NM: In what ways do you think I’m like you?
GL: You look just like me and have my big mouth.


NM: Tell the truth, who'd you like more, P.J. or me?
GL: You.  
NM: You're just saying that because I am asking.
GL: No. I still have a special spot for you. You were my 1st born and you were my little girl.


NM: Is there anything you have always wanted to tell me but never have?
GL: I don't know. laughs.
NM: Anything at all
GL: Nope, you know everything.


NM: Do you think it’s easier or harder to be a mother now than when you were raising our family?
GL:  I think it's tougher now. It is a tougher generation to raise kids. There is just way too much violence nowadays.


NM: Is there anything you regret not having asked your parents?
GL: I would have asked my mom more questions about becoming a women. My mother and I never discussed any of it. 


NM: What’s the best thing I can do for you right now?
GL: Take care of me. Let me do what I want to, instead of telling me I can't do it.


NM: Is there anything that you wish had been different between us — or that you would still like to change?
GL: I wish we were closer. 


NM: When did you realize you were no longer a child?
GL: If I had to pick an age I'd say around 10. My mother and father didn't really treat me like a child. I had a lot of responsibilities. Including taking care of 7-8 other kids.


NM: Thanks for answering for me mommy.
GL: No problem, you know I'll do anything I can for you.
NM: I'll talk to you later, I love you.
GL: Okay, I love you too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails